December 24, 2010

"Merry Christmas"

Merry Christmas from all the gang at Copley Hill - Peace on Earth, and Goodwill to all train kind!

Until next time.

December 21, 2010

"20,000 Complete"

With the addition of transfers, LNER no.20.000 Eastern Eagle, is ready for the PW Staff Competition 2010 - the full culmination of which, is a battle of the engines in a showdown in February 2011! :)

No more pictures however until the big day, and the reveal!

Until next time!

December 16, 2010

"Change of Episode"

The next episode due to be released in The British Railway Series was "The Lady of Malta". I was never happy with the scripting of it, and have edited it greatly, but it's still not quite there. Therefore I am putting it back down the schedule until it is ready.

The story's good enough, but I'm not satisfied with the dialogue, and that's the crux of the matter.

I have decided to cut another episode altogether, and put a new one in - and that will become the new "Episode 18" proper. I have nearly finished scripting the new one, and it promises to be a right cracker, with history in abundance, and lots of stunts and even a train crash to depict!

So I leave you with one hint for the episode's "true story" (to be treated with respect, and written respectfully) - it has a Scottish theme.

Until next time!

"An interview by the Sodor Island Forums"

Here's the full interview - enjoy! Blooper reel coming soon.

Until next time!

December 10, 2010

"An interview by SiF - Trailer"

I had a visit in early October from Ryan Hagan and Steve McGregor of the Sodor Island Forums, and at the same time a visit from Sean O'Connor of Sodor Island 3D. They decided to do a more formal interview, and this has been produced by them for their respective forums, to air on my Youtube channel. I am very grateful to them for asking some easy questions this time around!

The interview proper will be out on the 15th December - until next time!

December 06, 2010

"3D Modelling - Part 4"

After a week of progress, here's the finished "Proof of Concept" model, which, while not 100% accurate by any means, does at least give an idea of how the bodyshell will look when manufactured.

Here's a coloured version for comparison:

I think what stands out is how little clearance there is for the chassis picked for this to fit. The cab is the correct height, and the runningplate/bufferbeams correct width, but the running plate and bonnet proportions are very much out. This is mostly due to the clearance required for the motor.

The model isn't entirely complete either - I have deliberately not put in handrails, for the simple reason that at this stage of the project, they are unnecessary - they can be easily added to a new mesh further down the line. However, seeing if details such as the axle boxes, leaf springs and oil pots could be modelled, together with things such as buffers, were all very much necessary.

Until next time - and hopefully, a more tangible view of a project fast accelerating down the line...

December 05, 2010

"3D Modelling - Part 3"

So it continues - a few hours today sorting out dimensions, and making sure it will actually fit.

You'll guess from the overall proportions that it's not perfectly to scale - this is because it is being designed to fit a very specific purpose. Overall, it's starting to get there. I'm by no means good at this yet, but practice makes perfect, and if this proof of concept comes together and works, more modelling will surely follow.

The next stage was having a go at the body - and as I feared, the proportions of the bonnet, due to the clearances required, made it look rather oddly proportioned for its prototype:

However - this is a proof of concept model. If it works, and shows what I think is possible is - it'll be a good start on the road to something much more accurate, and more intriguing.

Until next time.

December 04, 2010

"3D Modelling - Part 2"

Having worked out that the main problem with the bodyshell I had produced was overall thickness - the minimum thickness should be 0.7mm, and in order to cut down on the material used, I was to make the mesh as thin as that.

I started again and the picture above, is the current state of progress. the axle boxes and suspension are pretty basic for the moment, but for a "proof of concept" model.

I'm not going all out until we know the theory works. However, the leaf springs will be a good indications of whether or not fine detail can be provided on the model.

Everything below the running plate is standardized, allowing a plethora of different bodies to be designed and fitted on top. Given there's quite a few styles of sentinel, I thought it best to try and make the proof of concept more of a "jack of all trades" in the detail respect, a generic Sentinel shunter than a specific one, for the time being.

If this ends up working, you may see more from the Copley Hill Works - in 3D!

Until next time.

December 01, 2010

" 3D!"

Here's something I've been working on in my spare time. It's not quite there yet, but it is starting to look the part. Will need a lot of work to get the details down.

A few hours later - and this is where I'm currently at:

Guess what it is! :)

Until next time.